Monday, June 13, 2016

Avery at 14 (!) Months

Throughout the first year of Avery's life, we got our fair share of the "Savor every moment- it flies by!" comments. Truth be told, though, it didn't feel as though it was flying by! Maybe it's because I was home for the first five months or because she was changing so much and so often, but it just didn't seem as though she was born one minute and turning one year old the next. Also, I think the fact that many people celebrate each month's progression as a sort of milestone made time slow down.

Now, though? I GET IT!! I totally get it! She was turning one yesterday and now she's fourteen months old! Or shall I say 1.16 :)  Really, though- she's becoming such a little person now and it's amazing to observe and be a part of it all. As some of you know, we recently moved (more on that soon!) and my commute is now three minutes, whereas it used to be anywhere from 30-45 on the dreaded Route 7. This means that most mornings I'm awake with Avery from 6-8am, which is so special to me. It's a time when we get to say bye to CP as he heads off to work (and Avery glues herself to the front door to watch him cycle off), watch some of the Today Show together, and drink our respective morning beverages alongside one another (#allthecoffee for mama, milk for Aves).

As much as I'm looking forward to summer and spending lots of time with Avery, I also really value the fact that she gets to see her parents get ready to go to work every day. This is something that I really admired in my parents growing up and appreciate way more so now that I'm an adult. While I didn't experience having a stay at home mom or dad, I know it's something that my friends who did experience also equally admire about their family. I want Avery to know that our family is always numero uno and that putting a family first looks different for many people!

Okay, now onto some random tidbits about the Mean Mugger.....

-Avery contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease last month and....EW! I had barely even known what it was before we were dealing with it and of course Dr. Google was a TON of help (I say that half-jokingly.. Fortunately since we knew what we were dealing with, it didn't list death as the #1 symptom). After a few days of r&r, though, we were back on track.

-We went to the pool for the first time this season recently and Avery did not hate the water! I didn't try putting her on her back and I'm not sure that I'll try to anytime soon since she screams bloody murder every time I try it in the bath. Any advice from seasoned veterans out there?!

-We have season tickets for the Nats and going to the ballgames this year is SO much different than going last year! Fortunately we're not at the point yet where Avery is super squirmy and she actually does a great job, but long gone are the days of a ten pound infant sleeping on us for four hours straight at the park. Fortunately there's lots of yummy food there to keep her entertained.

-Avery and Sloan's relationship is really starting to bud and it's pretty adorable. We're still working on gentle rubs, but for the most part Sloan takes the slaps, too, and recently Avery has started bear hugging Sloan which melts my heart.

-We still don't have a walker, but we do have a runner when Avery is holding someone's hands :)  I'm sure it won't be long now and we're soaking up the last days/weeks of being able to track Avery down quickly. That being said, I did "lose" her recently only to discover her in the linen closet - ha!





Avery got to meet her buddy Owen recently! I think technically A&O are second cousins (Becca is CP's cousin). Lots of fun adventures with one another await these two!

Alice and Avery chillaxin' at the pool together 

The definition of hangry

"Helping" around the house



3 comments:

  1. I love these photos! Especially of Aves sitting in the chair at the pool. Sweet girl, your Auntie Mere misses you so! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps: also so proud of the example you and CP are setting for her and your family. She is one lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The first 6 months to a year tend to drag - between sleep deprivation and teething and finding a new normal. And then *BAM* it starts to fly by!! And good luck with the back floating- all of mine hated it with a passion until they hit about two 😂

    ReplyDelete