Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Adieu

Chipmunks,

Here we are at the end of another school year. This one has been uniquely special for me, as it's the first year that I was both a full time teacher and full time mama. Truth be told, it took longer than it normally does for me to really get to know you all this year. Trying to juggle being teacher and mom is no joke and definitely did me in at different points throughout the school year. That being said, I wouldn't trade this year for anything in the world because once I hit my stride, I was able to fully realize what amazing young adults and students you are!

There are a lot of you in sixth grade this year and it's been amazing to watch every single one of you grow, literally and figuratively. Whenever the stress of the job started to do me in, I reminded myself of why I show up here every day: for you! It seems as though the field of teaching is experiencing a crisis right now in that the cons to the job are outweighing the pros. The notion that teachers are "lucky" that they get the summers off is a farce when you consider how many hours a week every teacher that I know pours in to their job. People don't see the teachers who get home, cook dinner, perhaps change some diapers and do a bedtime routine, and then jump on their laptop for 2-3 hours to develop lessons plans for the next day and reply to emails. They don't see the first year teachers who show up hours before school starts and stay until the wee hours of the night as they try to keep their head above water. And that's okay! It's not that everyone is expected to see and acknowledge the blood, sweat, and tears (and yes, all three are part of the job on a regular basis). Rather, it's a reminder for me of how amazing every single teacher is, in that they really are here for the kids. It's not a nice paycheck keeping people here, it's not the easy and flexible hours, it's not the telework options (one day?!), and it's certainly not the ability to use the bathroom or vending machine whenever we want to :) . It's you, kiddos!

As we discussed several times this year, my standard of success for you is not measured in scores and grades. Instead, it's marked by the amazing growth that you've made this year as you've blossomed into young adults. When you think back several years from now and reminisce about your sixth grade year, you may remember a fact here and there from US History or Science. More importantly, though, I hope that you remember and reflect on the class discussions that we had about what it means to be a classmate, what it looks like to be a kind and respectful person, and what it takes to be nice and to work hard. I know each and every one of you are going to go on to do amazing things in life. This is going to look very different for each of you, but that's what makes each of you so special and memorable. I will always look back on this year with fond memories.

Just as you're heading out the doors of Chesterbrook, I am as well. I'll be packing up Room 206 which as been home for seven years and heading to a different school next year. This is incredibly bittersweet for me, as I love this little Chipmunk community so much. Change is good, though, and I'm looking forward to new and exciting opportunities.

As I head out the door with you this year, I wanted to share some of my most favorite quotes that relate so, so well to teaching and learning....

“Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child and one teacher can change the world.” — Malala Yousafzai

“The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” — Pablo Picasso

xox Mrs. Pike (or Miss Micocci to some of you, still!) aka your crazy iced latte loving teacher









1 comment: